PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Out Emergency Turns
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2006, 11:02
discountinvestigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine out SID

In the event that an aircraft can meet the SID minimum climb gradient, with a critical engine failure, then there is no need to deviate from the SID. Be aware that the LGW SIDs are not SIDS, but actually NPRs, Noise Preferential Routes. You may find that there are certain classes of aircraft where the ability of the crew to fly the NPRs with an engine out is somewhat limited. However, there is not much at LGW that falls into this area these days.

There is one airport in the UK where the engine failure climb rate was the same as the VSI reading going up the runway slope for a twin turboprop operator. Do not retract the gear based on the baro VSI! You need the Type A as well to check what you will get on RadAlt in this case.

You should always be careful with emergency turns and missed approach tracks etc. I have seen cases where the baulked landing case for go-around did not have a minimum distance before turn, whereas the engine failure on departure did. I seem to remember that you would probably get away with turning early if you did the go-around with one engine out, after the fire truck ran across the runway ....

I have just been looking at a case on a missed approach where the turn was made early. They missed the mountain, but it was not the best place to turn. Be aware of why the missed approach point is set where it is. This should be on your Captain's brief and given to you when the airport inspection team from your airline carry out the JAR OPS 1.220 audit of the airport before you fly there. Now, exactly how many airlines are auditing the airports in this way remains to be seen..... Although I do it for one UK operator on their routes to dodgy countries in Africa.

Zurich and Innsbruck are interesting cases. I have been looking at INN recently and found the crew coordination to be "interesting" as you have the left seat flying and right seat looking out of the window. Then left seat starts to look but cannot see yet, the bank angle unwinds and you overshoot the centreline.

Perhaps, if Captain is going to fly the right hand turn for 08 (?) it would be better done head down getting the high bank angle maintained, rate of descent right etc and not looking out of the window. Right seat can then look out of window and do quick cross checks on the instrumentation.

Do you all brief what to do in terms of control hand over in the event of left side flight data or screen failures?