PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pentagon Grounds Secret Spaceplane?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2006, 09:00
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,760 Likes on 801 Posts
Comment on the story and the C-5s here, Some of this meshes with my own personal experience around the time all of this was going on. Some of it is pretty clearly disinformation. But it is interesting none the less. I will say that if these airplanes are the ones I'm thinking they are, I busted some knuckles and skinned some knees climbing around them while the mods were going on. The airplanes I'm thinking of were two rebuilt C-5As that were designated C-5C after the work was complete. Here´s a view

C-5C "Spacecraft, such as the space station node, are transported in a special canister, call the Space Container Transportation System (SCTS), which was built to fit into a military airplane, specifically a specially modified C-5C. The C-5C is the only aircraft that this canister will fit into, and it takes almost the entire cargo space. If a mechanical problem arises with the plane making it unusable, there is only one additional specially modified C-5C to use. The C-5C carrying the SCTS frequently arrives late at night, with offload immediately after arrival." 68-0216