PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report on ERA S-76 CFIT
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2006, 04:42
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To avoid confusion, let me restate my observation:

Any endevor where crews of 5,000 hour people with 20 years experience regularly produce an accident rate 20 times higher than commercial airlines needs serious attention to all aspects. If you had an elevator with that track record, you'd take the stairs. If you had canned goods that harmed you that often, the Government would drive you out of business.

When you get to the point where "Blame" is how you characterize the way to solve the problem, you are doomed to fail. The "Right Stuff" is a term coined by Tom Wolf to describe the rationalization that test pilots use to decide how the job itself was not dangerous, it was those only those fools who lacked the "right stuff" that died.

Forget blaming the crew, start finding out how to better the system. When pilots just harumph and say "pilot error" they HELP the operators and regulators perpetuate the system we have, and they prevent any improvements beyond more training and more rules (with the same accident rate). When we pilots EXPECT perfection from ourselves to succeed then we help perpetuate the system that we have.

Go ahead, say "Pilot Error" and think that solves the problem. It only explains the crash, with the same accuracy and precision as if you had said "hydrodynamic impact forces".

The fellow in a hot air balloon call down to an old geezer, "Where am I?" he asked. The geezer answered, "You're in a b'loon, ya damn fool!" Same precision and accuracy, but no solution to the problem at all.

Gentlemen, solve the problem, do not jump into the same old rut.