PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welshpool - deserted...
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 16:09
tmmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry, but I did ring for PPR, twice, and got the answering machine, which rather proves the point. And I left a message, which should have been received, if anyone had been manning the office at all.

Not only that, but I called on the radio at 20nm and received information in reply, rather than being told I did not have permission to land - nothing I have seen says PPR required by telephone, and plenty of airfields are happy with PPR by radio. (VFR Flight Guide is what I use - the 2006 edition, updated regularly, with the latest update incorporated, and it just says PPR.) If I'd been told to bog off I'd have gone to Shobdon, and I wish I had.

I'm sorry that there isn't enough support locally for the airfield - I don't know what constitutes 'buzzed to death', as the airfield was run according to perfectly standard procedures, and was never as busy as e.g. Kidlington or Gloucester, which are in much more built-up areas. There were, for example, never more than 3 aircraft in the circuit, and the circuit height is 1500ft, well above most people.

It will never be like Sleap or Shobdon, sadly - there they are actually pleased to see visitors, and feed them, any day of the week.

During the week, tea, coffee, cakes and cold snacks are available to purchase.
Not when there's no-one there to sell them!

Tim