PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 14:20
Land After

Just another seat number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by concorde001
BA don't offer business class on UK domestic flights. It's all single Y class and has been for many years now.
Agreed, but they do have:

• Preferred seating for Frequent Flyers
• Online check in with reliable choice of seat (No choice on tiny fares)
• Self Serve Check-in with choice of seat
• Minimal airport queues (security aside)
• Free food (MAN-LHR)
• Free Drinks (MAN-LHR)
• Motivated staff

And, importantly, a business attitude. The difference between BA and bmi is like a comparison with a charter airline and scheduled airline. BA appreciate you need to move through the airport with a minimum of fuss, bmi is very much “pile ‘em high and sell ‘em cheap”. Any form of contact with bmi, pre or post flight is a battle. Miles redemptions are a joke.

Gone are the days of diamond service and staff that seemed happy in their jobs and were happy to serve, and I was very happy to fly with bmi over BA. Now it’s reversed.

Bmi should look at the launch of BA Connect to see how handle a change programme. Most importantly, other than the removal of catering and the club cabin, none of the frequent flyer benefits have been hit and I can see the loads holding up.

Meanwhile, more and more people are getting hacked off with the Ryanisation of bmi. Sure, there’s a market for them. I’m not convinced it’s out of LHR. That’s why baby is doing well in the right places and the mainline load factors keep falling. (And I’ll bet it’s the high revenue pax that are leaving, not the pax on the Tiny fares)