PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warp Drive
Thread: Warp Drive
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 13:40
PhilM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With warp drive though, you do not technically exceed the speed of light, your velocity isn't that quick, your apparent velocity is (because you just did X distance in Y time).

I once heard on some Discovery programme that warp drive can be thought like this;

Take a sheet of A4 paper, at one end put a dot and label it A, at the other end, put a dot and label it B. Now, to get from A to B in a very short time, you would need to traditionally go very fast....ie if Earth was A, and Mars was B, and you wanted to do it in a day, it'd be very fast indeed!

However, if you were to fold the sheet of paper in half (warping space), A would suddenly be much closer to B, so you hop a few millimeters accross from A-B, then unfold the sheet of paper. Your actual velocity and distance traveled was slow and not very far, however, your percieved velocity/distance is great, as you have just gone from A to B very quickly.......this is how the warp drive concept was explained when I heard it.

I have often wondered, not to do with warp drive, but, due to the lack of hydrocarbon fuel in the future, if one could get an aircraft up into the air, and then freeze its position in freespace (gyros maybe), then the earth would rotate normally, and the aircraft would thus appear to travel around the earth (although it has not moved in freespace)...just a thought!