PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Ryanair Pilots speak English?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 12:18
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuffbaby
I have just returned from a European flight and whilst listening on the main ATC frequency across northern France and the southern UK, I was struck by the number of missed radio calls from Ryanair aircraft. Often the controller was calling three or four times before establishing contact. There was also a point at which the UK controller could not make himself understood when trying to establish the previous frequency which the Ryanair aircraft had joined from. Eventually the other pilot (presumably a native English speaker) came onto the radio and took over further communications.
My question is - are Ryanair employing a large percentage of non-English speaking crews and if so, have they established whether they can actually communicate to the required standard in an ATC environment?
Ryanair sensitive are we? Lets think about that question, and you can probably answer it yourself.... What is the required language to be written, spoken, and understood by pilots flying international routes? Did you say english? Good.

Have compassion. Could have been a trainee in the right seat.

Afterall... do all of the masters of the english language and linguists fly for EZ Jet, Globe Span, British Airways, etc.?... or your airline?