PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Out Emergency Turns
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 10:52
discountinvestigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Responsibility for emergency turns

It is quite clear that emergency turns are the responsibility of the aircraft operator and not in relation to PAN OPS v2 design criteria.

It is also quite clear that the airport operator must liaise with the aircraft operators to determine where they are likely to go. The airport operator must provide ICAO Type A, B and C charts if the terrain and obstacles around the airport dictate the requirement. Oh, in the UK, the CAA cannot be bothered to publish type B and C, even if an airport operator considers it necessary and Type A has to be obtained via a long winded method.

The airport operator then has to inform its ATC subcontractor, or self operated unit, of where the aircraft are likely to go and do what and when. This will be published in the Aerodrome Manual or operational manual and then passed to ATC for inclusion in their MATS Part 2 or whatever. The airport operator then audits the MATS 2 to check that emergency turns have been taken into account for the procedures used at the airport. This is then used as part of the safety argument documentation for the aerodrome licensing process.

Now, why do I get the impression that this is not going on? Perhaps because none of the airports that I audited on 5 continents last year had this in place. However, in the UK, you will find that I have interpreted the relevant laws, and case law, to provide a reasonable answer.