PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 05:47
missleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's great to hear that a lot of you are so passionate about your EBA, it's an important factor for the next three years of your working life. However many who have posted here dont seem to understand the reason of EBA. The post by "overhere" is pretty much spot on. You cannot get upset because you didn't get what you wanted, we will never obtain that luxury. If we did we will all be out of a job as businesses just wont survive. I'm sure you all would have had the opportunity to input suggestions, demands etc but crew don't think alike when negotiating an EBA. Some conditions are great for some crew, but not for others. Some issues are a priority for some but not for others. Unfortunately the airline industry is following other industries and are tightening their belts and saving money is the number one priority. This is not the glamourous, high paid job that it used to be, and we have to realise this. One thing to remember is we are not as valued as we like to think we are. We are disposable and replaceable, very easily. For every one of us there are hundreds who will take our place and airlines know this. I work for AO and have just gone through what you are going through and understand what you are all up against. We are low cost carriers, set up ONLY to reduce operational costs and in J* position to compete with DJ. If we are not achieving the results expected by our parent (which we all are) they will get rid of us. Expect very little from your EBA and renegotiation will achieve nothing major. I hate to say this but just be thankful you are on the conditions you are. The industry in Australia is following those in the UK and US. Casual employment will increase, individual contracts will become the norm and that is the future of this industry whether we like it or not. I am 100% in favour of you demanding what you want, hey we did, but don't get upset when you dont get it. It's your choice, job or no job. I came from an airline that had great conditions, the FA's pretty much got what they wanted and we were paid extremely well for what we did,
but look what happened, no job. (Not blaming FA's, it was bad management). All your comments in this forum are great, some emotional, but what are you doing about it. If you aren't happy voice your opinion to those that can forward your concerns (believe me, there are many who can get issues off thier chest here but wont bring them up to their reps). You cannot get sacked for your opinions. After reading all the posts here (and through experience) I have a few comments....
*Don't be persuaded by other FA's to vote YES or NO, this is YOUR choice. Some will say they are voting NO to fit in but when it comes to the crunch they will vote YES because they dont want disruption or fear consequences.
*Striking within the Qantas Group will not achieve anything but a few disruptions. MAM has the contract to provide casual Flight Attendants to Qantas. There are hundreds on the list who are desperate and willing to fly under any condition. They want your job. They can become A320 endorsed in one or two days. The disruption will certainly annoy the company but as I said, we are replaceable. Remember, you don't get paid for strike days and someone else is doing your flying and you still wont get what you want.
*BOC flying, one of the first things you would have been told at your initial seminar is airlines operate 24/7/365 and you will be expected to work odd hours. You are here now because you accepted that fact. (if you didn't know that you are in the wrong industry and if you were concerned about it why didn't you bring that up at the interview, again you had the choice). There are no penalty rates for working Xmas or holidays etc as every day is the same for an airline. This is another individual issue, works for some, doesnt for others.
*You may work for a low cost airline but there is no such thing as a low cost employee so dont think you are. Compared to mainline you are paid considerably less but this is the reason you were created. They are overpaid. My last tax return at my previous airline saw me paid $68,000 plus allowances of up to $20,000 pa. Even I think thats ridiculous. And where did I end up, no job!! The pay structure in regards to our industry needs renewing. We all do the same job and the domestic crew work a hell of a lot harder than international crew (regardless of which airline). Unfortunately a 3% increase is all you will ever get, thats accross the board, they wont budge on that so concentrate on other matters. We are the new breed and just have to accept that. There should be a set award for FA's regarding pay. Regional flyers earn much less than we do but still do the same job.
*JetStar flying NZ - I think you will find this classed as regional flying. If this is not in your award STOP now. Qantas domestic crew are now operating "regional" flights including HongKong, Singapore. From feedback from crew they only get their DTA, not international allowances. It is allowed under the EBA. Before you sign, think what your international limitations are. When AO started we could only fly max 4 hrs time change from port (not flight time). This has now been changed in the new EBA to worldwide.
*Remember, if you do decide to strike you wont get much backing from QF mainline crew. In an industry where we need it we wont get the support we need. You are a threat to them so why would they support you.
*Lastly, you accepted this job "as is" and were happy to do so. A high turnover of staff is something the company likes, remember when discussing your EBA they dont care if you stay or leave. Unfortunately we just fill a position and that position can be filled immediately. If the company offered you an individual contract at the start how many of you would have said NO? Probably not many at all because we want to fly and will do anything to get in. Just dont expect conditions that have taken years and years to negotiate. The industry has changed.