PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Last Tommy
Thread: The Last Tommy
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 02:26
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think we have ,in New Zealand, any WW1 veterans left, and it was only on Armistice Day in 2004 that a Tomb of the Unknown Warrior was created in Wellington in a very moving ceremony. All we know of him was that he lost his life sometime between April 1916 and November 1918. We do know that that his body was found without identification other than that he was a New Zealander, and was buried in Northern France, at Longueval. There were, however, some 12,483 Kiwis lost on the Western Front, and of those 33 per cent disappeared , or were recovered but not identified, so our soldier could be any one of those.

We, that is my wife and I, gained an invite because two of her father's elder brothers are buried in France, and another, a cousin, was never found but is commemorated on a separate memorial in France. In May this year, we are going to France to visit both graves, something I don't think anyone in the family has been able to do.

Personally, for you in the UK, when the last one fades away, I think there should be something hugely significant done to mark the occasion, and a State Funeral seems very appropriate.We'll never see the likes again.