PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA STINKS
Thread: GA STINKS
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2006, 00:33
QFinsider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I understand the desire to feel a little secure, I think no matter where you are it is insecure, both in and out of aviation. The ramifications of this will be borne out in the fullness of time.

I remember my GA days fondly. I enjoyed being my own boss, the fact I could fly as often as the charter business permitted. I had a degree of control over my own destiny and thoroughly enjoyed the aircraft I flew...I know that is not always the case.

I like most GA people couldn't wait for the jet job...I enjoy the remuneration, the perceived status(not from the company) and I like the fact that I was able to tick the box, achieving what I set out to do...

The problem with an airline, is that unfortunately it is run not by pilots and engineers as Qantas used to be. It is run by accountants and all manner of non flying types...I beleive there is a lot of institutional jealousy, some generated by some of my colleagues arrogance, but a large part due to the fact that ACCOUNTANTS count, they can't fly....

It is this that sours the airline environment. There is a constant berating of our long term employee status, an undermining of our position driven I belive by factors other than cost...We can't just go do something else, they can(but they can't fly )

So as hard as the road appears in GA, look around when you are up there flying single pilot...All that view, no boss and passengers...Think of that and the fact that you are an hour closer..Even better is take time to think how much it costs if you were still paying to fly...Having been through two bouts of unemployment I understand the frustration...

But you will look back when you each get where you intend and say....Gee that was great flying!