PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ACM Torpy
Thread: ACM Torpy
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2006, 22:32
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
He does seem a good bloke, and high calibre, though Jock's going to be a very hard act to follow.

As OC 2 Squadron, as Marham Staish and as AOC 1 Group Stirrup always seemed relaxed and confident enough to answer a journo's questions easily, or to demur politely, while many other senior officers fall back on the PR minder, or just seem rather cautious. As CAS, Stirrup has never hidden behind PR minders and has always been open and accessible. That isn't important, of course, except insofar as it indicates an ability to speak out and a willingness to stand one's ground, which may also be useful when dealing with politicians. Stirrup is extremely articulate and inspiring (awkward when you saw him side by side with Hoon as the Secretary of State suffered badly from the comparison) and is a convincing performer in front of Defence comittees, etc.

But I've never had to work for him......

Torpy has always seemed more cautious and less open, though I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've met him!

Looking further ahead I wonder who'll succeed Torpy, what odds do we get on Chris Moran or Clive Loader?

Last edited by Jackonicko; 8th Mar 2006 at 08:13.