PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Switching between counter and clockwise helis
Old 7th Mar 2006, 21:49
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
I too have changed between clockwise and anti-clockwise main rotors a number of times (every time I have gone to a new job, as it happens).

As far as which pedal on the first lift-off, if you aren't sure, put the pedals neutral and look out the front, take it gently and just react to what you see & feel the aircraft doing before the aircraft comes off the ground. A crosswind can, after all, make a heck of a difference, in any event.

I became concerned about the constant reference to "lucky left / rotten right" so heavily pushed on the western side of the big pond with regard to tail rotor malfunctions (on an anti-clockwise rotor of course, that works, but a lot of pilots over there still don't don't realise there is another way for the rotors to rotate). Getting this mixed up could be disastrous if you are flying a European, clockwise rotor heli at the time....

As a QHI, I put some thought into this for my own benefit and something to pass on to other pilots in a similar situation. The secret is simply to remember the retreating blade side. THAT'S the "lucky side" when it goes pear shaped at the end of the tail boom.

Lucky to get the cross wind on the retreating blade side, and lucky to get the nose off to the retreating blade side on the approach. If you think about it, it's lucky to apply pedal towards the retreating blade side on first lift off, too.

Hopefully, whatever you fly, you should remember which way the rotor went when you started it up.....