PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you have done?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2006, 21:46
derekl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sixmilehighclub
In the same way there is no 'documented' evidence to prove it is safe.

Until it has been proven and confirmed that the use of mobile phones, etc are safe whilst engines are running on an aircraft, and that it is fine to use a mobile phone standing directly next to a fuel pump then it is best to keep them off.
Why would it be safe to use them when the engines are not running, but unsafe when they are? It is not logical. Please let's be clear, I'm not discussing the rules here, just the science and engineering involved.

Also, how do you prove that something is safe when their is no evidence that it not? The science says it's safe.

How do you think the airplane communicates with ATC? Radio -- and far, far more powerful than a bunch of cellphones. And those folks do it with the engines running. There's nothing special about the aircraft's own radio equipment that renders it any less dangerous than a cellphone.

During the testing and certification of Airbus, for example, the back of the plane was stuffed with electronics and the engineers were forever using their cellular phones -- in flight. It may have upset Vodafone, but it didn't trouble the Airbus.

I understand the rules, and I obey them religiously -- but then that's what it is, religion, not science.

With respect,

derekl