PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Greeks at EK or QR
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2006, 21:41
Iron Beagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greeks sticking together... hasn't worked for 4000 years

Acrobat is right on target and I could not agree more.

Nevertheless, from the beginning of recorded history which in the case of Greece goes a LONG way back, our national sport is plucking each other's eyes out. A3, OA and whatever outfit comes along, we are all pilots! OA calling A3 newbies and A3 calling OA spoiled is not the way to protect our COMMON interests. Please don't start on what management does to one another, aviators used to stick together since we are the ONLY ones that know the job that needs to be done!

Yes there have been cases where crews have met at the airport and don't give the standard "kalimera" from what I hear. Let me say that a pilot that refuses to respond to a fellow pilot's greeting is the only one that can be negatively characterized. In fact, I call him an "aircraft driver", he is not an aviator, nor a gentleman for that matter.

The only comfort I have with our "unique" hellenic race, is the fact that Greeks tend to perform marvels overseas. Maybe because out there their fellow countrymen are too far away to put down anyone who pushes towards excellence and true professionalism. Back home it is always "Who does he think he is?" or "I have been doing this for years, what does he have to say?" Sounds familiar?

Also, most of the time, Greeks abroad tend to stick together, provided there are not that many of them to form a "small Greece" away from Greece, when groups are formed and the good old eye plucking begins again. So, I trully hope that in EK,QR,BA,EY,NASA there is not the ex OA versus ex A3 groups that are bashing eachother. After all, my fellow countrymen, think of the image we present to everyone else...

Goodnight and good luck.