PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - A Guide for Prospective Pilot Employees
Old 7th Mar 2006, 19:07
Leo Hairy-Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Smoke, mirrors and a broken heart.

REPA is neither neutral in respect of the matter of representation for professional pilots, nor do we condone in any way some of the activities and dispositions for which Ryanair has become well known. That being said, Ryanair has a number of very positive employment aspects and, as has been frequently said, by and large Ryanair pilots are proud of their company and they certainly wish to see it continue to prosper and develop commercially. REPA shares this desire and agrees with those REPA members who point out that with appropriate changes to personnel policies it could rapidly become a fine organisation. What follows should be read in the light of these remarks.
Minuteman, you break my heart. I smell your scent in this as clearly as if I'd watched you mark it with mine own eye. Pity its a crock of horse****, though.
The underlying model seems to be one of an almost purely market driven employee population in which “contractors” play a stabilising and controlling role.
What glorious obfuscation. Sadly, you and I both know that those who share our profession and are as yet incapable of simultaneously walking and chewing gum (hello didimus) will swallow all this willingly. I take my hat off to you. What you really mean to say, of course, is that anyone having the self respect and clarity of forethought to manage their professional lives within the constraints of a prevailing system, rather than trying to reshape the void to fit themselves as you so bleakly advocate, is an example of leadership and inspiration best pilloried. How do you sleep at night?
in what appears to be an attempt to intimidate the faint of heart
As perceived only by the faint of heart, I think you'll find. Quod erat demonstrandum.
but employs a low percentage of female pilots and the numbers are out of line with the industry norm.
Thank you Cliodhna Duggan and Jessica Starmer.
The company is aggressively anti-union
With very good reason.
This survey cannot be considered to have sufficient answers to be a completely reliable guide since the numbers voting (at the time of writing) was less than 10% of the Ryanair pilot population.
Well, 1% is less than 10%, so I suppose you've got me there! REPA surveys are meaningless, but I note you neglected to admit that.
In addition, none of the essential elements for making a career are in place, notably pensions and other benefits.
Bull****. By your own hand.....
Good points: prospect of early promotion for F/O’s, hard work, quick accrual of experience/hours, good pay, generally stable rosters, no night stops, leave arrangements maximising the combined value of leave and days off, rapid career advancement possible when events move satisfactorily, etc. Apart from its administration, the general consensus is that pilot training in Ryanair is practical, effective and pilot oriented.
Sounds like a career to me, alright.

Much as I ache to observe just how comprehensively you've sold your soul to the tabloid devil, Minuteman, you've failed to address the one thing that makes working for Ryanair the great experience it is, and the self same thing that frustrates your every attempt to spoil it. Ryanair is, and always has been, an airline of, by and for confident, self assured and proud individuals. There's nothing you can do that will ever change the fundament of that.