PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways applications/recruitment/accomodation
Old 7th Mar 2006, 19:02
essjay7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I just thought I would ask if anyone knew if BA operated a "quota" system on recruitment. The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine applied and was turned down. Nothing new in that, you may say, but she is extremely disappointed and disillusioned. She previously flew with BA in the 80s and 90s but left because of family illness and commitments. Since then she has been a deputy manager at a large hotel, and has also worked for a charter airline. She is totally focussed on customer service, and if I may say so, a delightful person. She realised that she would have to 'start from scratch' and would have to impress the selectors again, but really felt her interview had gone well and felt quite confident without being complacent. She was therefore pretty upset when she was rejected. Luck of the draw, you may say, and you may be right. However she now feels that her age may have been against her. She is in her late forties and was wondering if any other 'oldies' have been recruited this time. BA age-range requirements are 19 - 54; that covers them not being accused of 'ageism'; with no feedback from BA, she has no way of knowing and of course, they wouldn't exactly say that anyway. Of course she feels she could do the job well; her entire career has been customer service, not forgetting she was trained by BA in the first place! She was also told by her friend who now flies with BA that a couple of stewards she knew from another airline had applied and had been accepted by BA, when she wouldn't even have given them an interview! Sour grapes you may say, or indeed, c'est la vie! Interesting though, don't you think?