PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Funded Type Ratings
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2006, 14:36
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Empty Cruise,

It is a generally accepted view that paying for type ratings has an influence on our T's and C's as it gives companies the chance to employ less experienced pilots which in turn are going to get paid lower and lower wages. As BALPA are fighting the never ending battle against lower T & C's and rubbish pensions, shouldnt it start at the root of the problem in conjunction with its present fights?

While I appreciate and agree with everything you say, I am wanting to know what BALPA and others think we should do about increasing/securing T & C's with direct relevance to this subject.

Maybe a recruitment ban is the only answer! I dont know!
If it is then I hold my hand up and ask for that to be.

It would certainly mean that all the pilots flying for a SSTR company would not be covered by BALPA if they were to have an incident/accident and they would then only have themselves to blame for there own reducing terms and conditions. Maybe it would mean that we could restrict SSTR to a few airlines or maybe even phase them out completely.

I for one do not want to fly without union knowledge and support backing me up,especially in todays market where some companies will not hesitate to fling the blame at their pilots for everything but the most minor of incidents. Maybe we should have a recruitment ban. I just think it should be tackled as a problem in conjunction with the other issues BALPA currently deals with and as such I posted it here to gauge other peoples thoughts. This is going to be a bigger problem in the future than just people jumping the que!

Cheers,

OSOP