PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Funded Type Ratings
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2006, 13:54
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Unless your company has an elected BALPA rep and a BALPA recognised union, there is very little that BALPA can do.

If you're talking about affecting the policies in the industry on a wider scale - well, that's not exactly what BALPA spend most of their time dealing with. Just look at FR et al - they hardly even recognise their own pilots' elected representatives (see REPA) - so what kind of sway should BALPA hold over their hiring policies?

When you speak of people "jumping the queue" - well, if it makes more financial sense to an airline to take on people without experience & make every flight a training flight - then I'm not sure BALPA (or anybody else, for the matter) will be able to dissuade them from doing what they see as the right thing. Not all airlines follow this policy and prefer to take on experienced people only, and I'm sure that they have done the numbers as well and see that as the most advantageous thing to do. If a particular airlines hiring policy does not fit our wiev of the world, we can simply refrain from applying to said company & thereby deny them our services. It's called voting with your feet. And last time I checked, there was no queue outside the airlines (or inside some, for the matter)....

What would you suggest BALPA (or anybody else, now that I think of it) do? Impose an employment ban for all its members with airlines that do SSTR? And if they did so, do you think that would increase or decrease BALPAs influence over said companies?

Just a thougt...
Empty

Last edited by Empty Cruise; 7th Mar 2006 at 14:05.