PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Position and hold" >< "Line up and wait"
Old 7th Mar 2006, 11:32
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call me cynical, but....
If I "line up and wait" do I need to apply the brakes? I could wait without brake application. Couldn't I?
Perhaps I could also align my aircraft with the centreline and let it slowly gather speed from residual thrust whilst awaiting takeoff clearance.
What if I were to go to "position and hold"? What position? Any convenient spot on the runway at my discretion? They rarely qualify the 'position' part.
I've heard Metric is more accurate than Imperial?
Is it tyre or tire?
stAtus or sTatus?
It's so confusing!
Maybe it's all in our imagination?
Why, it might even be a simple matter of what is first learnt is longest remembered (and understood).
Damn those laws of learning. Someone else on the planet uses a different phrase than me!!

Gee. Could it be that international flying exposes us to these variations in phraseology across the world of international regulations?
Why do I have to report 'established on the localizer' before receiving an approach clearance? Might that not be as odd to some or just us foreigners?

...it may just be one of those things that makes us different from one another. But, it sure as hell isn't necessarily 'safer'.