PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux - was it a challenge?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2006, 08:47
batninth
Oh Shazbat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP595,

I'm glad to see someone else having the same experience with Ubuntu. Having tried Slackware til my hair turned grey, it is so much easier with Ubuntu and to get a working desktop with email/calendar/office on it is a doddle. I also like it's autoupdate mechanism to ship you any fixes.

Maybe I'll find some flaws with it
Having used it for a few months now, the biggest "flaw" is that to use that really smart Ubuntu installer you have to wait for the Ubuntu guys to port software, or to go back to the Debian underpinnings and push code into place using Debian installers.

Given that Ubuntu is free the wait for Ubuntu ported software usually isn't too onerous (I did have to go and get a Debian update for Firefox to get the security release, and to get RealPlayer). However using it for software testing - I pulled over DB2 and had to push that into place - was a little more testing. Also using some software requires you to delve into Unix commands - setting up an FTP server for example needs a little thought compared to putting FileZilla on an XP box.

It really comes down to how you want to use it - use it as a straight Windows XP desktop replacement and I think it cuts the mustard as it is. Like you, I would recommend it to anyone looking to move to Linux