PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye wannabes, hello jets!
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2006, 21:53
Gravox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke,
Great work, I have seen you posting over the years as I too have struggled along the same career path. I have followed the white line in the middle of the road around Australia, and New Zealand in search of the ever ellusive job.

On the 1st Jan I took off and landed a 737-300 for the first time, and not on flight sim. Your post made me wonder how long it has taken me. I'm not trying to hi jack your thread, but perhaps to support and encourage all those out there.

10 years, 6 months 16 days from my first flight Pa38
3283.6hours of prop time
11 aircraft endorsements
5 GA jobs (some paid,some not)
3 turbine commuter jobs
35,000km of driving around Aussie in search of work, suffering a blown gearbox, stuffed clutch, shattered sunroof, and no radio in a 1983 mitsubishi mirage/colt.
11 towns, 15 house relocations

a year on the dole, (thanks Johnnie)
years of frustration
loss of my sanity and hair.
And a cost that I don't wont to add up.

Oh yeah, half way through all of this I met a Backpacking Dutchy in Darwin (5year ago in 2 days time) and life has been great. She has been on the road with me packing and unpacking boxes. And always supportive. Although now I have a jet job she's trying to tie me down and looking for commitment..Help!

was it worth it. ABSOLUTELY, would i do it again.... IN A HEART BEAT!
The friends that I have made, the places I have seen, and the cultures that I've experience are unforgetable

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL
It'll happen, stay positive, enjoy where you are and savour the moment.
Soon you'll have to pay good money to fly what you are flying now. Don't rush it, you'll be flying jets for a long time.

Once agian LUKE, CONGRATS!!!