PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you have done?
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2006, 21:51
derekl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andie 74

Originally Posted by andie74
infact the police advertised in our local paper a few months ago making a point of asking local residents to be vigilant about mobile phones while at petrol stations for this very reason. apparently there had been a spate of fires caused by mobiles being used at petrol stations.
they also warned of static electricity also causing fires at petrol pumps- and advised people to get out of the car completely, closing the door and not allowing anyone to get in or out of the car while its being refuelled- same thing, the static electricity causing a spark which when combined with fuel vapours ignites a fire.
A spate of fires -- really? Find a documented one -- I'll tell you now, you won't. Exploding filling stations? No documented occurence (caused by a mobile phone) on the records. I'm sorry, it's nonsense.

What about people locking their cars with radio keys when they walk away to pay for their fuel? No sparks there? No RF? What about the red-hot turbochargers? What about the starter motors and their huge sparky currents?

According to the experts I deal with, it is almost impossible to get a fuel vapour/air mixture of the density needed for an explosion in a filling station, even with a naked flame.