PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blair avoids blame for GW2 - It was God's decision
Old 6th Mar 2006, 19:53
Tombstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, regardless of what I think, TB's comments have certainly not gone down well!!

However, if you compare what the PM said with Bush's comment on the war in Iraq being a 'Mission from God' then I think it puts it into context and makes TB's comments slightly more realistic than that of the American Idiot...

Either way, as has already been said on this thread, the electorate will not get the opportunity to express his or her disapproval/approval for the PM come the next general election.

EM,

I was simply trying to convey that the words of the PM were being taken out of context before the full interview was shown, placing a very dim light on him before the public were given the chance to judge for themselves.

For the record, I don't blame TB for the deaths as ANY PM would have ordered British forces into the conflict at that time. The Leader of the Opposition backed military action and that, IMHO, provided proof of an overall approval albeit not by a huge majority.

I blame POTUS for the mess we see in Iraq today. The conflict was fought well however, and this is the biggie IMHO, the post war effort has been pathetic. The US administration did not listen to their Chiefs of Staff when looking at numbers for the post war operation and placed far few troops in theatre to deal with the aftermath. This mistake in itself has cost the lives of many as much of Iraq remains unpoliced, just take a look at what is going on in the West of Iraq. Add the US's foriegn policy into the equation and you are looking at a bloody nightmare that is not going to go away as the US are in no rush to leave Iraq...

The equipment, or lack of it, provided to the troops is of course an area of concern with unarmoured transport, poor defence suites (C130) however, can we really blame the PM for that?? Surely his SofS for Defence holds the ball for that one, along with the DPA and Senior Officers.

This is of course just my opinion and I fully accept that this is a passionate issue that holds different schools of thought all of which I respect. We do afterall live in a democracy, I think...