PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation / Transair CD-ROM Fair Use Legal Issues
Old 6th Mar 2006, 19:03
Martin1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OAT's approach sounds weird.

If you buy a book, cd, dvd, magazine etc you own that particular copy. You are allowed to use it as much as you like, resell it or lend it out to a friend. You might, however, not be allowed to copy it, rent it out etc.

If you buy a cd-rom you assume that you can resell it without any limitation if nothing else has been clearly said. The so called "End User Licence Agreement" could state anything but I doubt that it's legally enforcable. It doesn't really matter anyway, because OAT will probably not be able to prove that you've actually used the cd-rom.

I bought the meteorology cd-rom second hand and I am selling it now when I don't need it anymore. OAT will not be able to stop me from doing so. If they really wanted to prevent this they should make the program available on-line (or a cd-rom to be bought at cost price) and then you buy a "personal licence" to use the program. This way should be ok, but they can't prevent me from selling a cd-rom I bought... as much as no one can prevent me from reselling a dvd or anything else I bought legally.

"By reading this message you agree to transfer all of your assets to Martin1234". Legally enforcable? Well, OAT might think so!