PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coastwatch/Surveillance Australia
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2006, 05:13
Ratter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does an extra $750 million buy?

I am not in the know but just an educated guess!

Lets start at the basics. For every 1 Islander or F406 you would basically require 2 pilots, i would imagine. With the Dash however, which i am led to believe flies more, you would need a minimum of two crews per day, if you take into account possible illnesses you would want at least 1 Captain or FO on standby, so you are looking at 2 crews per Dash 8 on any one day.

Losing 6 Islanders and 3 F406 would equate to roughly 18 pilots moving to Dash 8. Going from 5 to say 10 Dash 8's mean an increase of minimum 20 Dash pilots. Assuming all Islander and F406 pilots make the grade you will still need more pilots although the above math would suggest not many, but what if they decided to fly an aircraft more than once per day. What if indeed???? The pilot requirement would be getting up there if that was the case.

Also, i think it would be a tad more expensive to train pilots and observers on the Dash than on the Islander or F406. They are one of the few remaining sizeable companies left in this country that don't believe in making their pilots pay for an endorsement up front, just a bond.

Hope i get an interview, i can think of far worse progression than from an Islander to Dash. Congrats to all who are and will be lucky enough to get a go with them.

Safe flying

Ratter.