PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVENTRY
Thread: COVENTRY
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2006, 00:35
Riverboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helichopter - yes that would be rather fun! But what i meant was not quite what NDG implied. I am not suggesting that the B737s make a standard visual circuit, but something a bit wider and higher along the same lines.

At Coventry there is Class D airspace at 1500 ft, and if there is an airprox problem, why not make use of this controlled airspace, fly downwind descending, continue a descending turn on to finals at around the CA NDB, at which time the height will be about 1200 ft. This sort of approach is not difficult to do and is really not a problem from the point of view of a stabilised approach. Unnecessarily long approaches are unwise at Coventry.

Same goes for Doncaster. There is no CA immediately above the aerodrome, but the same pattern would certainly reduce the airprox numbers, Unknown light aircraft are not usually swanning around within 3 or 4 miles of an airport, but ARE at 7 or 8 miles.

Don't forget that it will be at least a year before new CA can be introduced at Coventry and Doncaster, and probably nearer two years at the latter. The proposal document has only just gone out for CVT, and nothing has yet come from Doncaster.

So why not make SOME ATTEMPT to help the situation, instead of TFly either keeping brain in neutral, or just presuming that everyone else is at fault? (Incidentally I am not getting at the overly well-drilled pilots, who don't seem to be given much discretion in BY.)