PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqdn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2006, 17:08
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to add my own memories to the above recollections of Ray's memorial service.

Ray had for so many years been a focus, a hub of the air display world. On Thursday 2nd March, 2006, that hub was at St Clement Dane's church. From all points of the compass a vast range of people came to pay their respects to Ray, and never has the phrase "pay their respects" been so apt. Some were personal, some on behalf of organisations and even countries that owed him so much. The whole day was centred on someone who commanded ultimate respect in the world of aviation. But the day was about more than just Ray's flying expoits. I went with my wife and daughter who both have always enjoyed watching him fly, but also knew him as a kind and gentle person who was always there at air shows; everyone's respect extended to Ray as a person as well as a pilot.

Before the service, in the winter's chill of a breezy day with crisp, bright, sunny blue skies, old friends gathered, welcoming each other warmly but all feeling the sadness of the occassion. Slowly, they filled the magnificent church that has long been the spiritual centre of the Royal Air Force. Quiet, polite conversation continued until the service started, precisely on time as befitted Ray's sense of precision! The whole service, the choir, musicians and speakers, were so appropriate, so polished and so worthy of Ray. Sarah's reading of "The Airman's World" was very brave at her father's memorial service, and I am sure that Lee Proudfoot had many special memories of Ray whilst reading "I Think of Those Who Were Truly Great" with great composure. The reading from Philippians by Sir Adrian Swire was spoken with great dignity and deliberation.

At the start of the service I sat with a friend who had been at Ray's funeral along with my wife and I. He commented that he hoped that Tudor Owen would give the same eulogy as at the funeral as it was such a marvellous tribute. Well, Tudor excelled once again in capturing Ray's life and personality. Some of the tales were old favourites, some were new to us, some were poignant, and some were funny. There was laughter, there were tears. And at the end I am sure that many (including me) wanted to applaud. However, conventional protocol maintained a warm silence. How long Tudor spoke for I do not know. But it was a tribute that lost no-ones concentration; any chaplain would be overwhelmed to have such attention paid to one of their sermons!

As the service finished, a congregation grew in front of the church once again. It seemed that no-one wanted to leave, until a snow shower reminded us that we had to move on! Ray's family kindly invited friends to a reception at the RAF Club where the exchange of stories continued well into the afternoon. When we finally had to leave, I felt a calmness that stemmed from the knowledge that I had been privileged to know and fly with one of the greatest. He will be there with us this season in spirit only, but he has left us a wonderful legacy of films and photographs and memories, with two great ladies, Eunice and Sarah, as custodians! He has left us the Old Flying Machine Company to keep his memory in the skies. And his charitable work for the Blond McIndoe Centre, the Hanna Surgical Research Fellowship, which he helped establish, will continue.

It was a fitting day to close not just a chapter in our lives but a book.