PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TIME TO STOP PAYING
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2006, 14:39
superpilut

I'd like to add, this FR situation is of course the worst.
I myself paid, and got a decent salary right away.
The idea was at that time to pay for a rating and get that amount back over a period of 2 years in the form of salary. So, yes in fact I worked 2years for free.
But at that time (1998) the only alternatives in the Netherlands were:
* Basically no direct entries anywere, unless you came from the KLM Flight Academy.
* paying (around €38000) for a EMB120 rating to fly (perhaps 20hrs p.m) for peanuts with Base airlines (now bankrupt),
* paying (around €45000) for a twin piston rating with Tulip Airlines (now bankrupt).
* paying (around €40000) for a EMB120/ATR42 rating with Air Exel (now bankrupt) and be paid peanuts as well.
* paying (around €45000 including the expenses you'll have during the stay) to fly 500 hrs in the states on that Beech 1900 with that outfit in Florida.
OR pay (€35000) to get a F50 rating and be paid €50000 over a 2 year period, with the possibility to stay in the airline. That's what I did, and I'm still flying there.

Now that I see the other "deals" around, the prices don't seem "that bad" if you compare it with 8 years ago.
If I then would not have paid, I would still be without a job. So for me it paid off. But of course only, if you get a decent salary as well right from the start.

Good luck all, and I hope the majors will open the gates soon for more lowtimers.