PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air sickness (Any advise?)
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2006, 13:47
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a child I was ill in cars, ill on 'flat' channel crossing etc. and eventually grew out of these.

Then in my first PPL lesson I started to feel queasy and we headed back. Since then I started to take a couple of ginger capsules before each flight (from your local health food shop).

Over the next year or so I stopped taking the ginger and had no queasyness. I now keep them in my flight bag for passengers.

BUT - I was having an IMC lesson in cloud last week. And it came on like a rush - awful. Again, it was the end of the lesson so no real issue as we decended to VMC and I was fine again. Must remember to take the ginger tables before IMC lessons!

Then yesterday I took a passenger up for their first GA flight. I knew this chap was a bit worried of getting ill so we planned to take off, climb in the circuit and if he didn't like it we would descend. About thirty mins in, he comments on it being a bit bumpy but not too bad. I had to smile, I thought it was about as smooth as it could be, so I guess over time you desensitise to the light turbulence caused by gusts.

On the subject of recovering from the symptoms - do a search for 'P6 acupressure motion sickness'. I tried putting pressure on P6 (inside of the wrist) when feeling queasy some time ago and it *did* work. I just forgot to use it last week!