PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2006, 10:56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First some observations:
1. Astigmatism is highly prevalent in the normal population. Measured values are usually low and are no barrier to normal vision; your measured, uncorrected, vision of 6/4 is two lines better than normal.
2. These low levels of normal (physiological) astigmatism vary between tests and are subject to measurement (in)accuracy. The variations you quote are normal.
3.If all the Red Arrow pilots were checked by an Optometrist weekly for a month they would all have measureable astigmatism and it would fluctuate. Yet they all have (better than) normal functional vision.
4. I'm struggling with the RAF's "0 0, no astigmatism in either eye". This is non sensical, vide supra. The USAF limit for pilots is 1.5 dioptres of astigmatism - if I read the regulations correctly.

Advice:
1. Seek no more Optometrists observations - they'll just add to the confusion.
2. Get the RAF examiner to confirm - in writing - the result of your eye exam ie. that you have normal uncorrected vision (both eyes), normal depth perception (stereopsis), normal field of vision, and normal eye movements.
3. Get them to confirm that their sole reason for failing you is -0.25 cyl in each eye and ask for a copy of the visual regs.
4. If it turns out that all is well with point 2 and that written vis regs don't exist I think you have got a good chance of changing their mind.

Just come across visual standards for RAF entry dated oct 2004. Quoted maximum astigmatism for pilot is +0.75. Looks like your well inside - the sign is irrelevant

Last edited by 7120; 5th Mar 2006 at 14:57.