PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue trivialisation of cabin safety announcements
Old 5th Mar 2006, 01:57
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Virgin Blue trivialisation of cabin safety announcements

Soon after descent into Sydney the FA makes a PA for everyone to raise the window blinds. It is 0700 and the sun is blinding, reflecting from the top of layer cloud with a painful glare to the eyes. . When asked why the blinds need to be raised at high altitude, the FA said it was a CASA safety requirement in case the aircraft crashes and the passengers need to look outside to see where the fire is.

Another operator required only the blinds over the window emergency exits to be raised for take off and landing. Other airlines have no policy. If all window blinds must be raised during take off and top of descent in case of a crash fire, it could be argued it would be logical to require all passengers take up the Brace position for take off and landing "just in case the aircraft crashes". Of course that is ridiculous.

The same Virgin Blue flight had the male senior FA making light of serious safety announcements with such gems such as:
:Cabin crew arm doors and cross-dress"
"Pull the oxygen mask over your face and stop screaming:"
"On your lifejacket there is a whistle which you can blow to attract passing sailors".
"Cabin crew take your seats and hold hands for blast-off".
"Turn off all electronic devices and the dishwasher and raise your window blinds".
Welcome to London Heathrow where it is Bikini wearing 20C".
"Welcome aboard where my award winning crew will be at your service - and I am lovely, too".
"Anyone caught smoking in the toilet will be asked to immediately leave the aircraft in flight"
"We are about to take off WHooooooosh, here we go".

This clown had a captive audience to himself for an hour and he never let up until the engines stopped and we were released to run from the fun flight. And that was only one Virgin Blue flight. Similar "fun" PA's are heard routinely on this company's flights. A light touch of appropriate humour is one thing, but this full on crap must be embarrassing to the flight crew whose professionalism is not in doubt.

The giggling trivialisation of vital safety announcements as Virgin Blue passenger cabin policy, risks passengers disregarding the real message while awaiting with baited breath the next amusing episode from a clown FA.
I can just imagine an FA announcement of "Evacuate. Evacuate, Go, Go, Go and I'll be right behind you, Dearie...

MInd you, it sure would be an incentive to ski down the escape slides and run like hell...

Last edited by Centaurus; 5th Mar 2006 at 02:09.