PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please help a newbie!
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 22:45
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subie, here's your first mistake.
Cutting a long story short, I am in the middle of my PPL, with the hope of one day becoming a utility pilot, but I'm struggling to see the path before me!
Our little end of aviation is very specialized already. Aiming for some sub-sub-sub-segment like "utility helicopter pilot" is gonna be tough. In the short run it will be very frustrating and disappointing. And honestly, it may not be where you end up. You may find that you hate the lifestyle, or that you're not suited to that type of work in some other way. Would that be the end of the world? Hopefully not!

Look, first concentrate on simply becoming a helicopter pilot. That's enough of a goal for now. THEN, once you've got your CPL and start building time, you can start steering your career toward a particular field.

There will be times when you will get so disillusioned that you'll be tempted to give up. But don't! If you really want to do this, keep at it. Even if you can't afford to fly, go hang out at the flight school. Don't be a pushy a**hole about it, but offer to help out wherever possible, even if it's just going out and getting lunch for the instructors on a busy weekend. Sooner or later, they'll find out that they can depend on you, and that will lead to greater things...like...being asked to wash the helicopters! Or help wash them, anyway. And if the people at the school like you, opportunities to take some free flights WILL materialize.

Eat the pie one slice at a time- don't try to eat the whole thing at once. And keep the faith.