PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A340-300 incident @ JoBurg. Report is public
Old 4th Mar 2006, 22:26
Desert Dingo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good report that makes some very valid points. Thanks DD for the link.

I pity the crew though; they had about 15 seconds to sort out a rotation gone wrong before they hit the lights - and the investigation analysed their actions for 8 months and produced 68 pages of report. It did say some nice things about the crew, but who would want to be a pilot nowdays?

I would like to suggest that Airbus could be partly to blame by putting either too much or too little information on the PFD.
I was taught to rotate by pulling, pushing kicking or shoving - whatever it took - to move the nose up at 3 degrees per second, and to make sure the wheels were off the ground before I got to 10 degrees nose up. Pretty simple and it worked, so as the report suggests, who the hell needs the SSOI for rotation?

On the other hand, if it is so tremendously important to apply 2/3 back stick, then how about marking that position on the PFD as a reference. The corners of the envelope are already marked, so it would not be difficult to do with the software.

(Reminds me of another little trick that crept in to become SOPs. A certain Asian airline thought winding in heaps of rudder trim was a great thing for crosswind takeoffs or landings in the B747).