PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Kiel
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 21:55
thomay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recovery

Below is a link to a German site www.hansebube.de (boy of Hamburg) which features pictures of the recovery effort of the Falcon 20 in Kiel. I could only find a German version. The pictures are on 4 pages, so use the ‘weiter’ and ‘zurueck’ to navigate forward and backward.

http://www.hansebube.de/kraga1/suenk...u/seite01.html

Below is a translation of the German introduction (information within the parentheses is mine):

Recovery effort of the Suenkler crane and transportation team on the airport of Kiel.
An aircraft of the type Falcon 20 overshoot the runway during an emergency landing and came to rest down an embankment in February 2006.
Due to the embankment’s inaccessibility, the Suenkler team came out in full gear, including their Grove GMK 6300 auto crane (6 axels, 300 metric ton lifting capacity - Yeah, I didn‘t know that a Falcon 20 weighs that much, either . For more information about this crane, go to www.groveworldwide.com)
The team started at 06:00 to ready the crane with 100 metric ton counterweight ballast (the crane’s maximum) and a 45 m luffing jib (that is the lattice type boom on top of the telescopic boom).
After lifting the airplane off the embankment, the fuel had to be pumped out of the aircraft. Then, the plane was loaded on a special vehicle.
The aircraft was then offloaded on a ramp on the other side of the airport, where it could be disassembled for further transport.
The 8 men of Suenkler had finished the recovery by 22:00 and together enjoyed a dinner on the airport (and I had to pull a special circuit breaker on the computer to be able to accommodate both ‘enjoyed a dinner’ and ‘on the airport’ in the same sentence ).
The Fritz Suenkler GmbH would like to thank the airport fire rescue services Kiel for the good cooperation.

Last edited by thomay; 5th Mar 2006 at 12:03.