PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqdn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 20:43
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few words on the service for those who could not attend

The church was lit by a bright, low, winter sun as the congregation assembled. The service started at mid-day with Nimrod by Elgar immediately preceding the service, and the church ground floor pews were packed, the overflow were acommodated in the upper levels.

The music in terms of the choir and the soloist, Helen Parker, who sang Pokarekare Ana was outstanding, and filled the church with a truely beautiful sound. The Hymn's were done justice too by the assembled congregation. As someone who is not a natural church goer the sound was genuinely uplifting.

The readings were from Sir Adrian Swire (Cathay Pacific), Lee Proudfoot ('Old Flying Machine Company' pilot) and Sara Hanna. The most poigniant for me was hearing Sara Hanna read 'The Airman's World', as a parent I know it would give me immense pride to hear any of my daughters read a passage so well at such an emotive event.

Tudor Owen FRAeS ('Flying Lawyer') gave an address relating many interesting elements of Ray Hannas life, to the congregation. These all set the tone superbly I felt, just the right amount of reflection of Ray Hannas life including some of the lows, and the undoubted highs.

As the service end many of the congregation chatted outside the church, and there were clearly many friends who knew one another and were renewing previous memories, friendships and aquaintances.
As the farewells and partings continued it began to lightly snow, ending a very thought provoking and memorable service.

(Left) Flt Lt Jim Schofield - Harrier Test Pilot, MoD Boscombe
(Centre) Mr James Hallam - Airline Pilot
(Right) Lee Proudfoot - airline pilot, 'OFMC' pilot, read 'Those Who Were Truly Great'

(Left, partly hidden) Sir John Allison KCB CBE - Air Chief Marshal of the Royal Air Force (retd) and display pilot

js
'just a fan'

Names added. Let us have any others you know.

Last edited by jumpseater; 6th Mar 2006 at 14:10.