PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air sickness (Any advise?)
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 19:20
Pull Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bruno,

I have always had a motion sickness problem, I am a bad car passenger, and although I love roller-coasters or aeros, I am always restricted by that queasy feeling. Anyway back to the point, I know I have a problem so make sure I plan ahead to minimise it.

My first ppl lesson - I threw up
My second lesson - I threw up
My third lesson - I felt dodgy.
My fourth lesson and then on in I was not sick, I had a few dodgy moments for example steep turns and spiral dive demonstrations.

Anyway things that work for me;

1) Dont over dress, I never wear more than a teeshirt on my top half when flying.
2) Eat something before flying, but not too fatty, do a search and you will find loads of recommendations, anything with ginger worked for me (biscuits or tea).
3) Plenty of fresh air in the cabin
4) Let your instructor know early if you feel hot and sweaty - the first signs
5) Plan ahead, have a chuck bag in reach if you know its there you probably will not need it
6) Where possible keep a feel of the controls even if not flying
7) Keep looking out as much as possible ( a good idea anyway )
8) And best of all dont worry about it, the worrying about feeling sick will probably make you feel sick
9) Dont worry about calling it a day for that particular lesson if you come over queasy, better to stop there and get back on the ground than add another bad experience.

Oh and you will get used to it!! The body seems to desensitise after a while, so dont be put off by a couple of bad experiences. I have been ppl flying for about 3 years now with no further problems either P1 or as a passenger. Having said that I am sure if I got into something aerobatic, i could be made to be ill very quickly!!

If you are still worried, do a search for remedies, there are plenty available that do not involve chemicals.

Good Luck - and control it rather than let it control you!!

Cheers,

PB