View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 17:28
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi there,
Originally Posted by Oogle
Slope landings in the BK117 and BO105?? My advice:

SLOWLY, SLOWLY!!!!!

Too many pilots I have endorsed on these aircraft forget this one simple point. If you take it slowly you may be lucky to reach the 11º slope to the left but it can turn messy really quick.

BTW, the black line painted on the MMI (BK and BO) indicates the FWD C of G limit. If the needle is below the black line all is good.
Oogle is absolutly right, smooth control is needed - but when you are smooth with the BK you can exceed the sloping limits, without exceeding the limit on the MMI.

I had 15° nose up with the front skids on the ground - MMI still in the green - and you can get the MMI-light flickering - when taking off from a flat surface - when the stick isn't centered properly.

And yes - I know, it isn't allowed to exceed the limits - it was a demonstrationflight - and in this case the limiting factor was the stress on the rotormast and not the slope
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/...s/rolleyes.gif.
You can also exceed the MMI-limit recovering from a dive - with a high power setting - important to know, when playing with the helicopter.
Better to reduce the collective, before pullong out and appling it then again - less stress for the mast and no lights ;-)
A little helpful trick with the BK 117 is, to depress the FTR-button shortly when in hover, so that the BK would hover on its own. After landing and reducing power, the MMI will then be nearly perfectly placed - as well as the stick for the next takeoff.

Greetings "Flying Bull"