Thread: Units
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 13:15
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
That's not the point is it - I have shelves full of data books that do that as well.
My problem is with an educational system that refuses to accept that there are a plethora of systems, and teaches people how to understand and deal with it.
G
And therein Genghis lies the root cause I would suggest. The objective within the primary / secondary educational system is, seemingly, to produce a student with an acceptable grade and hence fulfil a quota. To do this however, you have to discard any aspects that may not be considered as being relevant--or just plain difficult of course and concentrate on getting little Tabatha and Tarquin through the exam--irrespective of whether they have actually learnt anything of course--or have the wish to which is probably also as pertinent.

Turin,
" an accident waiting to happen"---er, I think it already has --a certain 767 in Canada?--not quite as a result of the conversion you mentioned ( and yes, it used to p$$s me off as well ) but" units of confusion" certainly contributed as I recall.