PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices restructure
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 01:39
Shitsu_Tonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask the line controllers about that, and you will hear - YES - and those controllers get included in our operational numbers! So next time you hear about how many 'controllers' there are have a think about what you just said.

Most line controllers would be glad to see a whole lot of the non-core projects (I god I sound like John Howard) scrapped and the controllers returned to the line - if they are still capable.

Conversely, there are areas where you do need an Air Traffic Controllers involvement - not neccessarily running the project - but certainly providing operational advice, even if on a short secondment. An ATC system designed by an engineer is not an operationally effective solution! You also need Air Traffic Controllers to do the training in such places as the college, or in the centres.

I wonder of the 900 air traffic controllers we supposedly employ, how many hold down a full time line on a roster? If I were to pluck a figure I would say between 500 and 600 - maybe somebody out there knows.