PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Configuration Warning near V1. Continue or stop?
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 22:19
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Keep that attitude!

Originally Posted by Empty Cruise
GlueBall,
I take it your remark was rather tounge-in-cheek. If not, please expand on that philosophy - I'm eager to learn. I was just brought up with this wimpy "Train the way you fight - fight the way you train"-attitude that is obviously past its sell-by-date
Empty
Without even getting close to a tongue-in-cheek comment, there isn't anything "wimpy" about that attitude. Those of us who have been "in the business" for more than a few decades (at least those of us who really care - and Centaurus is certainly one!) have been trying unceasingly to instill that very attitude in all pilots; i.e., train the way you fly, and fly the way you train. Unfortunately, it wasn't until the advent of what I would call "modern simulation" (within the last 15 years or so) that really allowed this to be done in earnest. Training in an airplane doesn't really lend itself to proper or compete training and there are specific and documented reasons for this. In today's environment, the idea of having two sets of skills (relying on one in a simulator and the other in the airplane - which tends to get confusing in circumstances when split-second decision making is required) is an outmoded and a "detrimental-to-your-health" idea that should be expunged from every airplane training curriculum.
While I certainly don't mind having serious discussions punctuated every once-in-a-while with a little levity, sometimes "light-hearted" comments can be taken the wrong way. That is why I am glad that you had the temerity to ask the question you did - and it's why I jumped on your comment so quickly. Flying is one of the most rewarding and exciting and entertaining things humans can do (note, I did say "one" of the things...), but it is also tremendously challenging - especially when doing it as a professional - and as expansive as is the "wild blue yonder," it is no place for anything less than professional action all the time. And, speaking for those of us for whom the "art" of flying comes only with great practice and diligence (as opposed to those rare few who are "natural" pilots), let me encourage you that "practicing" anything with less than the attitude you've learned is certainly NOT wimpy. Ignoring that kind of attitude not only takes away valuable time from learning and practicing what is necessary and proper, it also more than likely reinforces incorrect decision making. There are a lot of folks who say, with varying degrees of tongue-in-cheek thought, "I'd rather be lucky than good." If you (not "you" specifically, but anyone), if you fly and you are depending on being "lucky," you're in the wrong business.
Keep that attitude, my friend, and don't let anyone talk you out of it!
______
AirRabbit