PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jaguar Overseas Training Flight
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 22:16
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't really want to get involved, but can't resist ---

All this talk of OLF. When with pointy and triangular things at HQ 1Gp in the 1980's these things were called 'rangers', which then became OLFs. Same thing, different title- old git some 25/30 years ago. Point is that once per year, each crew (or pilot) was allowed to fly away to a NATO base to gain interoberabilty experience; usually Thu - Mon. Preferably this meant low level in-theatre, hopefully with a bit of DACT. If it did, and even if didn't, then the chaps had a bit of time to themselves after some lenghty time away from 'home' on frequent two/four week exercises. Sounds tough, but I guess not anywhere near as tough as today. Sorry, but groundcrew didn't have the same opporunity - unless the jet went U/S.

Whatever, it gave young bloods the opportunity to plan and lead oversea deployments, and old bloods the chance to sit back and 'follow'. And, dare I say it, fill the bomb bay with ripe green peppers, vino, prawns etc on the return leg.

They gave a good training return at low cost - accomodation was either on-base, or at a hotel (and meals) that were at fixed rate allowances. Same today I think, ie you pay for the extras.

Bloody good for morale, bloody good for experience, great fun, bad for the liver, and so teribbly,terribly wrong today. Sad.