PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Common Core Skills
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 17:44
sooms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure the RAF Regt feel the same way about a lot of the stuff in CCS- it is setting a basic standard. We are, after all in a military service.
I've seen ccs/gdt change many times in the last 23 years and it's nowhere near the chafe it used to be. At least the Regt now try and make it as painless as possible- it is aimed at everyone, from a PAS Sqn Ldr to a newly arrived LAC.
Not many years ago it was 3 days long on some units in the uk, more in RAFG. I remember running twice round the rugby pitch at cottesmore in full ipe and S6 just so we were nice and sweaty for the cs chamber- no reason other than to give the rocks a laugh.
Personally, I don't have a problem with it and if it finishes early so much the better. Remember, most of this stuff started post-kosovo when the lack of sto training in the RAF was shown to be badly lacking. We have brought most of it on ourselves.
I saw at first hand the results at skopje with people turning up without a clue how to put up a 12x12 or even how live in field conditions. Funny for us SHF vets to watch, but embarrasing nevertheless. Did chafe a bit though later when they bought IDT in and we all had to 'learn' it.

Don't knock it- just do it, laugh at the k******s getting it wrong and get the tick for another year.

I do find the current trend towards more warlike stuff- section battle drills etc. rather worrying though. We must be carefull not to think we are something we are not. An Infantry soldier is a very special bloke..his job is to close with the enemy and kill him at close quarters, it takes the Army/RM/RAF Regt a long time to train someone to do it, especially when his mates are going down all around him. An afternoon running round the airfield is not enough and is quite frankly dangerous to think a rifle section of RAF personnel are capable of assaulting an enemy position under effective enemy fire.
Defending yourself, a flying site or reacting to a vehicle ambush are one thing, proper soldiering should be left to the guys who are trained to do it.

Just for the record- I am not a rockape.