PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight training in Malaysia
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 13:21
WLM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ken
My ringgit worth of advice
If you're Malaysian, have the funds, then do the license in Malaysia. This school in Ipoh has progressed somewhat since they first started last year or so with only one EC120. Our days, a few more EC120's and the R44 Raven make it a lot more attractive for flight scheduling. One year how well time goes by quite quickly especially under the local regulator exams scheduling...
The local regulator does not like foreign trained pilots and make it harder than what it should be when you wish to convert. I always found it amusing as most Malaysian civilians helo pilots were trained overseas then had their license automatically issued by the local regulator upon their return with minimal flight experience.
You might not be able to join ITS for a while as they are quite heavily booked. So if you're Malaysian, go to Oz or NZ, do the CPL(H) for 1/2 of the Malaysian cost then come back. Your problem might be to build a few hours then. I know the heavys (MHS) are always looking for Co pilots, so could be an entry point for you.
Vertolot
In Malaysia, all exams are based on fixed wing, nothing at all on helos. You're also treated like a fixed wing by ATC. So a little training on fixed wing is helpful for the local scene.
Already put my comments regarding license conversion by the local regulator. However if you have an ICAO ATPL with over 1600 hours and 400 hours with an AOC operator, then all is required is the Airlaw exams and flight test. But it can change at the local regulator discretion...
The other operator mentioned can only provide PPL training and is currently not available.
Anyway Ken, the world is getting shorter of experienced helo pilots, so if you have the funds GO for it. Have perseverance with a vision and you will get there. Good luck