PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loans for funding flying training.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 11:56
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you need to firstly speak to your existing mortgage company about what options are available to you in order to raise additional capital.

Some things for you to consider:-

- do you know how much equity is in the property ie: sale price less mortgage. A few years ago when property prices were going through the roof lenders were offering believe it or not 110% mortgages and the like. Nowadays most are more conservative and the norm is in the range of 80-90%.

- if you have some equity in the property and your current bank won't play ball you can always transfer your mortgage to another provider. Make sure that they will enable you to draw down some cash though against your mortgage. My bank Halifax were willing to lend me up to £35k just a month ago on my property based on the equity I had with no questions asked. It was actually for DIY/renovations but in reality I could have spent it all in the pub should I have wished.

- some unscrupulous people (I am sure you are not one ) go for self certification mortgages and low and behold fib about their incomes in order to raise more capital. I am sure you wouldn't think of doing that..wink wink!

When I was looking for mortgages many moons ago Charcol (a broker) had a good online website which kept track of the various deals on the go. Think the Times on Sunday is also a good read in their money section of the current rates.

Clearly usual caveats apply about how will you be able to fund the loans if you don't get a job flying or that job flying won't cover the increased mortgage payments etc but I am sure you have that figured out.

Good luck