PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Singapore Basing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 09:41
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps QF management neads to get their heads around the fact that when someone is based in a country other than their own they are expats...as such the are non resident for tax purposes.

They are also typically supplied wih accom and school fees for a minumum of 2 children as part of a typical 'airline' package.

When I was based in Sin my 'expatriate allowance' was Oz$65000/annum on top of my wage...NET of tax!!!

That went towards;

$23000/annum (per child, I had one) for the Australian International School
$30000/annum rent for a 3 bedroom appartment...nice but not extravagant.
$12000/annum for transport allowance. Cars in Sin are off the planet expensive due taxes imposed so prohibitive...hence a grand a mth for catching taxies on company business.

What was interesting was the 65k was a fixed amount....whether or not you had children...it was a 'single mans contract'.

If QF is serious about basing new hires in Sin then the above is the minimum they should be offering....on top of their wages!!!

Clearly there is a dissincentive to base married guys with kids up there...but if they do they must be prepared to pay the money...invariably the wife will be unable to work unless highly qualified in a very narrow choice of fields...essentially Nurse Educator and Teacher.

The choice to send your children to a 'free' Public school is unavailable.

If the beanies cannot accept the above then they are just kidding themselves and any pilot given the option would be mad to accept a foriegn basing under any lesser terms.