PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do you want to be an airline pilot?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2006, 15:38
hedges81

Why do you want to be an airline pilot?

Am just wondering what people´s reasons are for wanting to become an airline pilot?

I am doing my PPL and will continue to CPL/IR over the next year or so, I started it initially with the desire of becoming an airline pilot, however now I am not so sure.

Why are people so desperate to bankrupt themselves to get a job where they will be permenantly knackered, get up at rediculous hours, live out of a suit case and never see their wife/ kids?
Why are some people so desperate that they will actually pay an airline to let them carry passengers?

If you say it is because you love flying, think again. I love the flying as I do it now, ie under my own terms, nothing is more liberating and there is no better way of clearing ur head of bad thoughts than to go and fly over some hills, leaving all your troubles behind. With airline flying, however I reckon being an airline pilot would ruin it for me. Ive heard for example that BA pilots only fly the plane for 2 mins at the start and end of every flight. How bored must they get in between? With light aircraft, it keeps the brain busy, constantly checking fixes, headings, freda checks etc.

I reckon a lot of people want to do it solely for the status, because they want to march around in a uniform feeling important, and think the money will be good. Indeed I have heard a lot of airline pilots dont even like flying, the plane is their office rather than their passion.

I love flying, but my mind is now on getting my instructors ticket and setting up a flying school, which would be a lot more fun overall. More sociable, and potentially more profitable.
As an aside, does anybody know what an FTO must do in order to provide integrated training? OAT, ive got u in my sights.