PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The best CVs or Resumes (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2006, 13:48
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
You can take a lot of the above with several pinches of salt. Nothing wrong with the Microsoft templates - I use one myself, and contrary to other advice, mine is also 5 pages long. Don't get stressed up putting it all on one page - BUT - put all the relevant stuff on page 1 - if I want more information, I want it NOW, and I will not pick up the phone if I have 500 resumes to sift through. Imagine what you would want to know yourself as a Chief Pilot - that will tell you what to put on the first page.

Bear in mind that a resume gets you an interview, not a job, and the screener looks at it for 8 seconds before putting it in a pile. Don't give them an excuse to put it on the wrong one!

It certainly should be neat and well-spaced, with black printing on white paper (for scanning) and if you've taken the trouble to use a microsoft one, or even better a Framemaker one, it at least tells me you are computer literate to a certain degree.

Otherwise, no photos, no aol email addresses, referees will be taken up later, so you don't need them right now. However.......

YOUR COVERING LETTER IS OFTEN MORE IMPORTANT!

Read that again

And again

That's because it is a focussing device.

Good luck!

Phil