PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS obstacle clearance area
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2006, 12:43
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

It's a bit difficult to provide a categorical answer but I'll base my remarks on the information already provided. Firstly, the non-precision approach (VOR/DME) to RWY 27 should be designed so that the aircraft will reach MDA at a distance that will allow continued stablised VISUAL descent to touchdown. This is the fundamental basis of Pans Ops design criteria for runway approaches.

Using this as a basis for hypothesis, the aircraft should reach MDA at a distance of approximately 3.04 NM from the THR. This is the point where the MDA will intersect the 3-degree approach path to the THR. Now then, if the big hill (plus antenna or whatever) is 2 NM from the THR, an aircraft descending on a stable 3-degree approach will be at about 720 feet at that point, which suggests that there might be enough clearance but, without looking at the Obstacle Limitation Surfaces for the aerodrome, I don't want to commit myself to that.

If we consider the lowest protection slope angle to be a gradient of 2.5%, this equates to an angle of 1.43 degrees. The slope from the THR to the 587 feet obstacle at 2 NM would be about 4.2%, or close enough to 2.4 degrees. On this basis, I'd suggest that it would be a serious infringement of the approach surface and, therefore, the only solution would be to increase the GP angle (and therefore, commensurately increase the lowest protected slope).

All in all, I'd say it'd probably be a bit difficult to get an ILS approach to that RWY. I could be wrong, on many counts here - not least of which being the late hour at which I'm making this post while feeling somewhat weary.