PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - By the Cabin Crew door?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2006, 11:48
VC10 Rib22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rocketboots,
Where in my statement did i state that it is a pre-requisite that engineers should automaticaly assume that they are entitled to become pilots above anybody else?.
You didn't, but I never said that you had. When I wrote
Having an aircraft engineering background doesn't entitle you to a seat in the flightdeck - as a background in Ops, ATC, Cabin Crew and Dispatcher equally doesn't - but it is an indisputable advantage in getting it.
I was just expressing my opinion and wasn't referring to you directly. Perhaps the word "anyone" instead of "you" would be more appropriate.
I took from your original post that, because you and your fellow aircraft engineers have not gained employment, you have written off your skills and experience as having any useful advantage towards making a career as a professional pilot, and replied to that effect. My own opinion is that your background in aircraft engineering is most definitely an advantage, and the reason you have not been successful, thus far, is for another of the plethora of criteria that recruitment panels use to chop their vast wannabee list i.e. lack of hours, not enough flying in the last 6 months, history of failure, incorrect spelling in application forms, etc, etc. If I have taken your original post incorrectly, I apologise, and kindly ask that you use more words in future to ensure your point is put across as intended. As for your own company's preference, all I can say is that sometimes being known works for you, other times it can go against you [personality clashes, people perceiving your ability as a pilot on your performance in your current position - I'm sure a good engineer could be a poor pilot, just as a poor engineer could be an accomplished pilot (this is where the selection process comes in), people not wanting to see you progress because of jealousy - it's a sad fact of life]
Just a thought though!.Your stuck in deepest darkest wherever with the aircraft gone tech, its the small hours of the morning , pax in terminal, with very little line station cover, and your ddm reads like muddy water. Beside you is a ex licenced aircraft engineer. What you gone a do?. Oh i know go have a beer?.
We are in agreement here, I believe, in that having a pilot with an aircraft engineering background would be to the advantage of the airline, the pax, the cabin crew (those that want to get home) and the flight crew, should his/her background allow them to be able to rectify any aircraft snags (subject to authorisations and other legal issues), reducing aircraft-on-ground time. It goes without saying that this would be more relevant to the smaller operators where you are expected to be more multifaceted, but even with the larger operators, having an extra pair of useful, experienced hands and an extra person for a quick brain-storming session would be beneficial.
Engineers design aeroplanes. build them, fix them, so why not fly them
Motion passed!
VC10 Rib22